"I WANT TEACHER GO HOME"

Yesterday afternoon, I had a session with one of my oldest client, WN. She is a 11 year old girl with Autism. When I first started working with her 1.5 years ago, she had little speech. Her only phrase at that time was 'I want.. mama..'. The desired item was always called 'mama'. And she always used that soft weak voice.

Three months into speech therapy, WN spontaneously told her mum 'I want swimming.' Awesome! Her mum brought her swimming immediately. This motivated WN to keep saying 'I want swimming.' even at the most inappropriate timings.

Six months into speech therapy, WN was able to say 'I want go toilet.' and 'I want water.' All these spontaneously. Critical communication skills achieved!

A year and a half into speech therapy, WN spontaneously told me 'I want biscuit.' It was halfway through a session. I replied 'later', thinking that I may have heard wrongly. Five minutes later, she repeated again... not once... but twice! The minute I said 'today's class is finished!', she stood up from her chair and went straight to the kitchen for biscuits! Talking about improvement in speech clarity and persistence in communication!

And yesterday afternoon, WN completed her session with little fuss. Like in any other session, I told her 'class is finished!' Immediately she stood up, pushed me towards the door and said 'I WANT TEACHER GO HOME.'

I think I taught you well, WN. Even if it is to my disadvantage. Keep going girl!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CANCELLATION POLICY

SPEECH BUDDIES REVIEW (Part 2)

THANKSGIVING NO. 9