DON'T GIVE UP MUMMY!

Last week, I was sharing with YS' Mummy on how to facilitate language learning in everyday routine. I shared with her the S.P.A.R.K. approach by HanenTM. She looked at me straight in the eyes and told me flatly that she had undergone the entire HanenTM 'It Takes Two to Talk' programme and it was not effective at all!

(Prior to this, Daddy had shared with me how YS was talking before she started using Picture Communication System, and how she just lost her speech totally the moment her school placed her on the Picture Communication System a few years back. He also mentioned that YS has been doing oromotor exercises for a long time with little results.)

When Mummy told me outright that what I shared is nothing new and it is totally ineffective, I did not take it to heart at all. In fact, I felt really sad. It added on to the sadness which I was feeling after hearing what Daddy had shared.

I asked myself what had gone wrong. YS' parents had tried almost every research-proven approach: oromotor exercises, Picture Communication System and even the entire HanenTM It Takes Two to Talk Programme. These are the approaches which most Speech Therapists would use to help a child like YS. Why is YS losing her speech? What had gone wrong?

Despite having spent time and money on ineffective Speech Therapy in the past years, I am glad (really glad) that YS' parents did not give up on Speech Therapy. I am determined to redeem the profession. More importantly, I believe in the potential of YS. Her parents are not giving up on her. Neither am I.

In my next entry, I will share the possible reasons of why the above approaches may not have worked... and how I will make it different this time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CANCELLATION POLICY

SPEECH BUDDIES REVIEW (Part 2)

THANKSGIVING NO. 9