A VISION FOR TOMORROW

July marked the first year anniversary of Summer's Therapy Services!

As the founder and director of Summer's, I am proud to announce that with effect from 1 July 2016, we are known as Summer's Therapy Services Private Limited.

It has been a really enjoyable year working with children in their homes. Several parents have shared that they appreciate that the sessions are at home because their child is much happier in therapy. This feedback encourages me greatly. I am thankful that I have created a service which helps these families.

July was also a month of visions!

At this one year mark, I am reminded of why I had started Summer's, when one of my good friends, Lee, introduced a book called 'Larger than Life'. It is a collection of stories of Singaporeans who are serving in developing countries, through a wide range of projects, using whatever talents and skills they have been blessed with.

Be inspired by Larger than Life!

Several years ago, I had a vision of setting up a travelers' lodge in a developing country. I want to employ people with disabilities (this population has always been a burden on my heart because I had seen many of my ex-students graduating from school with nowhere to go. The vocational skills which the team had worked hard on were futile!) A lodge can supply jobs in the areas of cafeteria service, laundromat service, house-keeping, reception desk and even a gift shop!

With this dream of a traveller's lodge, I have always wondered where I would get the funding from. The lodge would bring in income, but it might not be sufficient. Suddenly I thought, "How about running a business???" That's how Summer's came to pass. Two purposes: (1) To provide a service which benefits children with special needs (i.e. home-based therapy services) and (2) to support my vision of a traveler's lodge run by people with disabilities.

From 'Larger than Life', I was also given the idea that I could also run a farm in the developing country itself, just like The Little Honey Man in Uganda featured in 'Larger than Life'. A farm will provide employment opportunities, especially for people with disabilities who are not suitable for work in the travelers' lodge, as well as generate income! What a brilliant idea!

I am excited for what is to come. Join me in prayers as I work towards my vision. Feel free to share your thoughts about this. You will open doors for me and definitely for people with special needs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CANCELLATION POLICY

SPEECH BUDDIES REVIEW (Part 2)

INTERVIEW WITH OUR YOUNGEST THERAPIST!