THIS IS WHY I DO WHAT I DO

Saturdays have been the 'golden days' since I started my private practice three and a half years ago. This is the day when children do not go to school and parents are off from work.

For the first two years, I saw five children every Saturday, then four and now finally three. With the extra time now, I started scheduling 'screening' sessions. These are new referrals who needed to be screened, so that I know the child's needs, their parental concerns and which of my therapists will be able to meet those needs and concerns best.

Last Saturday I had scheduled one of these screening sessions. Maybe due to my recent heavy workload of therapy sessions, supervision, travels for consultations and preparation for my upcoming long trip to Myanmar, I was feeling tired. I would love to finish my Saturday a couple of hours earlier. I would love to go home for a nice shower, rest and a change of clothes before my dinner appointment, rather than going in my work clothes like always.

The Angel in my head said, "These parents have been waiting for quite a while - a child's time is precious. You have to go." The Devil in my head rebutted, "There are so many such parents and children out there. How many can you 'save'? Take a break. Cancel that appointment."

With the battle in my head, I went ahead for the screening. It is just not me to cancel a scheduled appointment.

Upon arrival at the house, Mum received me warmly, offering me a nice cold drink (I must have looked tired and thirsty from the day on the road!) She expressed her appreciation for my trip to the far west. Looking at Mum, I knew I had made the right decision.

When I met the child, he was this cute little fellow, seated at the corner of the sofa. He was very hesitant when I approached him. Mum, Grandma and the helper tried to entice him to say a few words, but there was little success. We tried the behavioural approach which did not work either. When all else fails, it is bubbles to the rescue!

This little chap finally opened up. We were having so much fun popping bubbles. He even said 'bubbles' spontaneously after a few verbal models. The family were cheering for him, delighted by his participation.

However things quickly went downhill when I offered the child the bubble wand and asked him to blow. Mum said that he does not know how to blow and that another professional had been trying to teach him for the last four months! Hearing that, I was determined to get him blowing! I gave the child maximum prompt... (1) tactile cue to lower his jaw and round his lips, (2) physical model of blowing, (3) blowing on his ear and face for increased sensory awareness, (4) physical cue on his abdomen to exhale and (5) verbal prompt "blow!"

Together with a little silent prayer, lo and behold! The child blew! He was so excited that he dashed from the balcony to the living room, jumping and clapping. The family cheered loudly and excitedly too; so loud that the child had to cover his ears! This first blow was such a motivation for the child that he kept trying and trying, and he was able to blow consistently within 10 minutes. Grandma was so delighted that she did a little prayer gesture towards the window, as if to thank the heavens above. There is hope for her precious grandchild!

I was touched. This is such an affirmation for why I am doing what I am doing. Many more Saturday sessions to come. Who cares about looking ragged for my Saturday dinner night out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CANCELLATION POLICY

SPEECH BUDDIES REVIEW (Part 2)

THANKSGIVING NO. 9