THREE WEEKS IN MYANMAR

Finally back in Singapore after nearly three weeks in Myanmar! The word that came to mind when looking back at the last three weeks is 'connecting'.

The first leg had me spending time with Danielle Ryan, the Angmo (Caucasian) version of me. We had met in 2012 when we were working in SPD. Since her return to Ireland in 2013, we kept in touch through infrequent text messages. However we made a point to visit each other every two years. This year, she came to Singapore where we retraced our favourite places and did our favourite activities, i.e. supervision over kaya toast and hanging out on The Bridge. Later we went on to Myanmar (Yangon and Taunggyi). It was awesome to show her Myanmar, a place I love. 


Danielle and I having lunch at Inle Heirtage Centre!
We had a great time looking at Burmese cats, not! Oh well, at least Danielle did!

It was also in Taunggyi that I connected with Thiri Nwe, a Facebook friend. She is the founder of a therapuetic center in Taunggyi. It was awesome to hear about the good work she has been doing.

Myself, Danielle, Thiri and her super adorable 4-year-old son!

The second leg saw me spending time with my best friend Li Huiting. My 'name-tutube' and I went on an adventure up up up north of Myanmar - Putao. We had known each other since 1999. We are best friends not because we share the same name but because we share the same vision (and the same lame jokes)!
 It was so exciting and fulfilling to share the beauty of Myanmar as well as explore Putao together. And I am also exceptionally thankful for her timely presence during my training workshops.

Huiting and I twinning with our beanies in Putao - a gift from my mother years ago.

It was also in Putao where we meet a couple of new friends, Piter Chan and Uncle Ji. They shared many interesting stories of their lives in Putao. I would love to return again to learn more about the people and the place.

Bull cart!
I simply love the lalang-alike plants and the lake!
Huiting and I also had great fun with the staff at Putao Trekking House. Such lovely Ruwang people!

The third leg had me back to work at New Life Foundation and New World Therapeutic Center for Special Needs Children. Those few days were intense but I am really happy that I could share my knowledge and experience. The consultation with New World Therapeutic Center has been ongoing for two years. I am delighted to see how the most of the teachers have grown in their knowledge and skills, which transfer to good progress in the children.


Such great fun doing demonstration sessions! Hands-on demonstrations and practices are always the best!

Really heart-warming to see the enthusiasm of the participants.

In these three weeks, I also had a chance, or rather two chances to catch up with Thida Soe, an ex-colleague from SPD. She was such a big hearted teacher assistant, showering the children with all her love. Three weeks ago, she has been promoted to motherhood. I am so happy that she has been blessed with a bundle of joy of her own. 

I also caught up briefly with my Myanmar friends since 2011! Hla Hla, Ah Win, Phyu Nyein San and Ma Su. It has been a while since the five of us hang out together. We had traveled several places together - Bagan, Nagpali Beach and twice to Kyaiktiyo. Despite the language barrier, we always had great fun augmenting our communication with exaggerated gestures and facial expressions!
It was a shame that I missed Dr Su, Dr Phyu and Piyali this time round. Hope you all take care till we meet again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CANCELLATION POLICY

SPEECH BUDDIES REVIEW (Part 2)

THANKSGIVING NO. 9